Sunday, August 15, 2004

The Never Opening Restaurant

Cafe Japan, Golders Green - one of the finest Sushi establishments in the country. It's not just me saying that; you should see the stickers they have in the window: Time Out, Zagat, and every other reviewing body there is has loved this restaurant. I love this restaurant, but...
IT IS NEVER OPEN!
Several times I've arrived at times when surely any eatery will be open. Say, lunchtime? No. How about dinner? Not on a Tuesday. Oh, or a Monday. So I tried to adapt to their system. I learned their eccentric opening times. I promised never to try and have lunch on a weekday.
Today is a Sunday, the perfect day to take a guest from abroad to my favourite restaurant for her first taste of Sushi. I even invited a friend I've been promising to take out for lunch. It was the birthday present I've owed him since about 1997.
Guess what?
Closed in August.
Didn't see that one coming.

No comments: