Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Basting a Zebra on June 24th

I've been preparing my accounts for last year. You know: sorting through my magic shoebox of receipts, rifling through my old diaries to decipher my cryptogrammatic symbols and examining the scrawl of taxi drivers to work out roughly where I was going, when and how how much I spent.

The one thing I've learned about myself this year is that I never spend any money on the 24th of the month.

I think this is a bit weird, but I'm going to celebrate it when June 24th comes around by dressing in a hair shirt and eating gruel. Or something like that.

By the way, I barbecued a few animals this weekend.

It was beautiful weather and my home-built, brick barbecue sang out to me, so I went hunting. Or the modern equivalent - I went and bought some meat.

We had chicken, beef, lamb, pork, zebra, ostrich and springbok.

I overcooked some of the zebra, but the second batch was pretty tasty. My pick of the meats was probably springbok - surprisingly juicy for something so lean.

I was most proud of my original, secret-recipe, basting sauce. One day I'll share it with you all. But not yet.

No comments: