Thursday, September 30, 2004

My Sister's Birthday

Yes, that's right folks, it's my big sister's birthday today! Let's all sing a raucous Happy Birthday to Sophie.
It's a strange one this year, because while I'm in London, she's gone out to the States to study, so I won't be seeing her today. I can only transmit birthday wishes via text messages and - voila - the internet. I might even give her a ring if I can work out the time difference and my finger has enough stamina to dial the twenty-five digit phone number. OK, maybe it's not that long, but international phone calls still feel like an event, don't they?
Someone was telling me the other day that there was a time you had to book international phone calls and they were carried out in some local shop, rather than from home. Next they'll be telling me that matter-transporters were once just fiction...

No comments: