Thursday, February 19, 2009

How Much For Your Email Address?

Anybody there? You still reading this?

The reason I ask is that I've just spent a merry (miserable) few minutes (hours) toying with (desperately trying to fix) the blog.

It was like one of those times when you think you're about to change a light bulb but end up having to completely rewire the whole neighbourhood, as well as rebuilding the local school out of sugarcubes and excavating the Roman remains you never knew existed under your garden.

It was a bit like that.

But less fun.

It was all prompted by the wonderful (insanely troublesome and not-really-worth-it) addition of the little box on the right hand side of the screen that say something like 'subscribe to this blog via email'. Yup, that means that you can pop your email address in there and you'll never have to visit this page again because you'll get all my latest rants (like this one) in your inbox.

You'll probably also be handing over your soul to Google so that they can use your personal data to breed a race of clones entirely devoid of any data at all. I don't know why they would do that. I don't work for Google.

And in putting this funky (stupid) little box onto this blog I was confronted by yet another example of things changing to accommodate morons while actually making it more difficult for them. I know this, because I am one of the morons. I know nothing about tech stuff. Yet I was perfectly happy editing my blog and all that malarkey. Then 'they' decided to make it easier for me with widgets and wockets and subscription burner feed stuff.

It makes no sense.

So please enter your email address in that little box on the right. It cost me a small piece of my soul to get it there. And I promise I will make much more sense than anything ever written by any employee of Google.

No comments: