Tuesday, July 22, 2008

2,000 words a day involves some late nights

I think this is the latest I've ever finished a day's work. I didn't really get going until after dinner. I was working all day, but there were a couple of tricky bits of choreography to work out, so the words came slowly. Then everything kicked off and I've been typing frantically for the last few hours. It's now about 2.45am.

In some ways this is a good sign. It means the story is getting hotter and I'm finding my writing rhythm. In other ways this is very bad. It's potentially the beginning of a very unhealthy cycle - late writing makes for a late morning, which makes for a confusing day and another late writing session. A cycle that's very hard to break once I get into it.

I'll try to nip it in the bud with some early words tomorrow. You know - catch my conscious mind unaware. Get some of the story written before I'm awake enough to realise I shouldn't be awake. I think the secret might be eggs for breakfast. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Coates: Blackout rolls on. I'm nearly a third of the way through a first draft...

No comments: