Monday, July 21, 2008

A Whole New World

I have a new laptop. This is pretty exciting stuff. It's quicker, smarter, sleeker, cooler, brighter and less annoying than my desktop computer. It also seems to be able to connect to the internet more easily.

What is it with all these computer companies? Surely by now it should be pretty simple to make a computer that does what you want it to do when you want it to happen. But every time I try anything on my desktop - simple things - Windows decides it has to add some gadget or useless gizmo. Or the machine's own security makes it run painfully slowly.

This week it's been a new toolbar that does nothing but take up space on my screen. I have total freedom to choose which useless functions it offers me, but I can't get rid of it completely. Perhaps one day they'll invent a 'grumble-free' computer system. But I doubt it.

It's not as if I'm asking my computer to crack the enigma codes. And even if I was, they had a computer that could do that in the 1940's. But I bet it didn't have a pointless toolbar that wouldn't go away.

All of this moaning is, of course, only to highlight my joy at my new fancy laptop. This one also has pointless toolbars, but the options are so new and weird that I feel like I have to explore them and find out exactly how pointless they are before I complain about them.

It's a whole new world.

No comments: