Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How did the old woman die? What's Amin going to do about it? Where will he and his friend go?

Thank you to John Finnemore, who was an excellent guest/co-host on my radio show tonight.

I was going to type up a little about our chatter and the songs that we played, but to be honest I'm easily distracted, and I've been distracted by international tongue-twisters...

My favourite is:
Daq al-bab
Kaloo, "Mean?"
Kaloo, "Amin"
Kaloo, "Malak?"
Kaloo, "l-hajji"
Kaloo, "Malha?"
Kaloo, "Mawtat"
Kaloo, "Balla?!"
Kaloo, "Walla."
Kaloo, "Hakni!"
Kaloo, "Yalla!"

Which, of course, is Arabic for:
He knocked on the door
He said, "Who?"
He said, "Amin"
He said, "What's your problem?"
He said, "The old woman"
He said, "What's her problem?"
He said, "She's dead"
He said, "Really?!"
He said, "Really"
He said, "Follow me!"
He said, "Let's go!"

Now, if there isn't a story in that...

No comments: