Monday, October 11, 2004

One thing that makes me angry

There is very little that makes me angry. I'm a very un-angry person. I was going to say that there is only one thing that makes me angry, but I've just thought of another one.
So: I can only think of two things that make me angry. I am capable of ranting for some time on either topic. I have tried my hardest not to mention them here. I guess I'm just not strong enough.
Why am I charged money to park my car outside my own house. Yes, it's a 'Controlled Parking Zone'. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that there's no reason for this street to be one. There are zones of uncontrolled parking closer to the station and closer to the shops. My road seems to be an anomaly. A salient street of special value to the council.
Now, the one I was going to rant about was the BBC licence fee. Unless you live in the UK you might not know that in this country, in order to own a TV you have to pay the BBC 12O pounds a year WHETHER YOU WATCH THE BBC OR NOT! It's that simple. That's all it comes down to.
Is that fair? What if I had to pay the Chinese restaurant up the road an annual fee despite the fact that I might be allergic to Chinese food? I don't want to rant any more. Once I get going it's hard to stop. But is that fair? Is it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in the States, if you want any decent reception and channels beyond the 3 or 4 your city might have, you are paying for it. Either cable or dish.

No matter what, they get you coming or going.

Parking....I have seen stickers on cars for certain neighborhoods but I do not know if they have to pay for them. It's the price of living in an urban area. And with 7 million in your area...well.

me said...

120 pounds for having a tv set at home??? no way!!! here in europe u don't have to pay a cent to have a tv at home and u can watch all the free chanels...and there are a lot!!! that's not fair at all!!

Joe said...

I'm quite happy to pay for TV that I watch - some of the best shows are on pay-to-view channels. But that's part of the reason I object to paying the BBC - I don't watch anything they make because I'm watching the great shows on all the other channels!
And if you don't pay they threaten you with a fine of a thousand pounds!
It's not as if they need the money - they make billions every year from merchandising and licensing their programmes abroad.
And if the licence fee is so vital, how come every other channel manages to produce better programmes without it?
Sorry - I'm ranting again.

Anonymous said...

Nah sorry Joe you get no sympathy (well you do for the parking). Here in France I have to pay a licence fee for France 2, 3 and 5. The only one of these that my tv picks up is France 3, whose idea of Friday night entertainment is a documentary about fishing. Every Friday, all year round, for as long as I've been coming to France and absorbing telly. I occasionally get France 2, but only if my upstairs neighbour is running her washing machine, there's an electrical storm at the same time and I stand round the corner in my little kitchen bit. Which never happens when it's ER. Sod missing you lot, I miss English TV.
Katy

Anonymous said...

Nah sorry Joe you get no sympathy (well you do for the parking). Here in France I have to pay a licence fee for France 2, 3 and 5. The only one of these that my tv picks up is France 3, whose idea of Friday night entertainment is a documentary about fishing. Every Friday, all year round, for as long as I've been coming to France and absorbing telly. I occasionally get France 2, but only if my upstairs neighbour is running her washing machine, there's an electrical storm at the same time and I stand round the corner in my little kitchen bit. Which never happens when it's ER. Sod missing you lot, I miss English TV.
Katy