Tuesday, February 12, 2008

206 words of word-counting, not counting these words

"Three hours a day will produce as much as a man ought to write."
Anthony Trollope.

I've been working for a lot longer than that today, but some of it has been re-plotting and re-imagining scenes. I've reached my daily goal of 2,000 words though, and a little earlier than usual. I could go on a get some extra mileage under my belt, but I think an early night might do me more good.

So far Jimmy Coates: 6 has reached 27,000 words of the first draft. I'm into the thick of the story, past the first couple of action set-pieces and ready for the first major twist. I suppose, thinking about it now, I'm only just short of half way.

If this week goes very well I could just about reach 35,000 by the weekend. That's what I usually consider to be half-way for a first draft, though final drafts of the Jimmy Coates books usually come out at around 63,000 words these days.

Jimmy Coates: Survival (book 5) is a bit longer. I think it's the longest Jimmy Coates book yet, at around 68,000 words. You can judge for yourself whether the extra words are worth it when it comes out, on April 7th.

No comments: