Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Waterside Inn

I've decided against a list of dishes. There is simply no way to evoke the experience of dining at the Waterside Inn using mere words. I'm not a fan of adjectives, and I'm not a fan of restaurant reviews (except for the work of Giles Coren, obviously). It seems to me that any attempt to get the information across to you would be the worst combination of both those things.
I will tell you this though:
1. The waiter who carved our duck was doing it (for diners) for the first time. He did it very well. I don't feel like we thanked him enough.
2. There was an extra piece of cutlery I've never seen before. We enquired. Apparently it's a spoon specifically designed for scraping sauce from your plate. It seemed to work.
3. I have learned that I need more information if I'm ever going to be able to tell the difference between a restaurant with one Michelin star and a place with two or three. I think that's a valuable lesson.
4. My approach to dining out has completely changed, now that every other meal in the world seems cheap. However, at the same time, I will no longer settle for service that is anything less than perfect.
This could be interesting...

No comments: