I have now reached Phase A2 of the editing of 'Jimmy Coates: Killer'. This is a great achievement.
Most of the evening as been spent devising a fantastic phase system, and drawing the necessary charts to document my progress through it. So having done no more work than a few hours ago, I now feel much happier with the way things are going. Now I know I've completed Phase A1.
I have also become obsessed with word count again. While I was writing the first draft - just over a year ago - I noted the number of words I'd written almost hourly. I still have the diary that I dedicated to word counting. I calculated averages, drew graphs, and set targets. It got the job done.
Now though I have started noting word count in the hope that I will have deleted more words than I did yesterday. Somehow I've reached the point where that is the only measure of my progress. I just have to trust that cutting the bits I have cut improves the quality of the book.
Current word count: 61,776.
Words cut this week: 5,111.
Bring it on.