Don't forget, 17th November is...
DUCK SOUP DAY!
And that's this Monday!
Don't miss this brilliant Annual Celebration of everything zany and hilarious. Duck Soup Day 2008 is a particularly big one, because this year is the 75th anniversary of the original release of DUCK SOUP, the inspirational Marx Brothers movie.
For those of you who haven't celebrated Duck Soup Day before, here are some of the most popular ways of marking the occasion:
1. Watch a Marx Brothers movie (Duck Soup is particularly recommended, but connoisseurs
also give a knowing nod to A Day at the Races)
2. Eat duck soup
3. Serve duck soup to others
4. Feed some ducks
5. Dress up as a Marx Brother (Harpo is most people's favourite, but you could go for Zeppo, which would just mean putting on a double breasted suit. He was the straight man, who retired from the movies to join Gummo Marx as the others' agent. In fact, why not just dress as Gummo and wear whatever sort of suit you like? Or why not dress as a duck?)
6. Litter your conversation with some witty Groucho-style one-liners
7. Snub your nose at authority
8. Kick up a ruckus
9. Read even more Groucho lines
10. Watch some other vintage comedy, preferably something that can trace its comic lineage back to the Marx Brothers. For example: Seinfeld, Friends, or anything by Woody Allen (Hannah and Her Sisters even features a clip from Duck Soup).
Good luck, my soupy friends.
Happy Duck Soup Day!