Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stop! In the Name of Lamont Dozier

I'm beginning to realise that fewer and fewer of my friends realise that my first career was as a songwriter. As time passes, and I bring out more and more books (5 so far, in three years, with another one coming in October), I suppose it's natural that people I've only come to know since 2005 haven't heard about my music. Oh well. That'll change. I'll get back to music eventually.

It's with this in mind that I can't let this week pass without flagging up Lamont Dozier's birthday.

He's possibly the most successful songwriter there's ever been, and as one third of Holland-Dozier-Holland he wrote so many classic Motown standards that it would be silly to name just one here. You know plenty of them without even realising it.

He's always been one of my top songwriting idols. So Happy Birthday, Mr Dozier. I hope you had a great one.

No comments: