Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Holly Hill

I had a lot of fun today going back to my old school - the Junior Branch of UCS.

I spent the morning with Years 5 and 6, talking about some of my crazy theories on how to come up with ideas for stories. (Theories which seem to work for me.) I was amazed by the thousands of ideas that came pouring out of the boys, almost all at once, in a massive tidal wave of manic creativity. Loved it. (It's not that the girls were less creative, it's just that there weren't any - it's a boys' school.)

Other things that pleased me:
1. The food is still good. Best school lunch I've ever had.
2. The place we used to call the 'Resources Room', where I played many epic games of table tennis, is now a fully kitted-out drama studio.
3. There was a didgeridoo in assembly! That rocks.
4. Year 5 missed a science test to come and listen to me. That rocks even more than a didgeridoo. (But I suspect they'll be getting the science test later in the week.)

So a massive thank you to everyone at Holly Hill for the wonderful welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again next year.

Another trip down Nostalgia Avenue tomorrow - I'm visiting UCS Senior School.

In preparation, here's a list of all the most important things I learned while I was at UCS:

Never play leap-frog with a unicorn.
Never play cards with a man called 'doc'.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.
Only keep pets that are smaller than you.
A bird in the hand is better than one hovering above your head.
The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets.
Never sit on a staple gun.
Never put out a campfire with your face.
If you're feeling seasick, sit under a tree.

No comments: