Monday, May 22, 2006

Why Doesn't Everybody Live Here?

I've made it!
I'm in Sydney.
First of all, credit where it's due: Malaysian Airlines, you rock. You're everything I wanted from an airline. Including putting on a plane that was almost empty so I could lie down wherever I wanted and hoard all of the blankets.
And movies on demand?! That I can play, pause, rewind etc at will?! When did that happen to air travel? I should fly more often.
So that was good.
But Sydney's better. It looks like Autumn, but it feels like Summer. That's a bit weird, but I think I'll get over it. Also, whenever I imagine myself on a map of the globe, I get a weird dizzy feeling that I might be upside down. I guess my London-centric image of the world is too deeply ingrained.
The real surprises, though, have been the times when I thought I'd stumbled into paradise: Sydney Fish Market. Unbelievable. That's where you'll find me every lunch time for the next couple of weeks. I'll be just visible behind the mountain of sashimi.
And I just discovered the Asian supermarket at Paddy's Markets. Shopping will never be the same again.
And yeah, there's some other amazing stuff too. Opera House, Harbour, Bridge, Beach... you get the gist.
But for me it's all about the seafood...

No comments: