Sunday, September 11, 2005

Green and Pleasant

This has been a crazy weekend.
Last night I was at a very fancy restaurant doing very fancy things with fairly fancy people. Not really, but if I told you where I was, and with whom, it would sound like that.
It wasn't really like that, even though that was how it was. See what I mean?
Anyway, I don't want to say too much in case you get the impression I do that sort of thing all the time. Is that enigmatic enough for you?
I shouldn't even have started on that one, should I?
Let's move on - tonight I had a very exciting experience. I was at the last night of the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.
I was lucky enough to be a guest of the people from the Birmingham Symphony Hall, which meant I had a great seat. Looking over the forest of flags, costumes, beach-balls and balloons is, well, amazing. I'm pleased to say it wasn't all Union Jacks (I was worried about the jingoism of the event) - there were dozens of nations represented in flag form, even if almost every face in the auditorium was white and middle-aged.
It is certainly a unique event. If you ever get the chance to go, you should. It was strangely powerful. Except when the BBC decided we should have a live link up with other Proms around the country. But you know by now not to get me started on the BBC...

No comments: