Monday, April 18, 2005

Aubergine

I want to take a moment to pay tribute to the aubergine, or 'eggplant', as some of you might know it.
Last night we went out for a Chinese, and the 'sea-spicy aubergine' was, for me, the highlight of an excellent meal. It even trumped the Peking Duck.
This brought home to me all the more how flexible the aubergine can be, and how much it is under-rated. I think the problem is that most people don't know what to do with it. To be honest, I don't really know what to do with it either. But that's just part of its beautiful, purple mystique.
Usually I cut it into chunks and roast it, then eat it with a little soy sauce. It's good, but it's just a poor imitation of the 'nasu miso' that I've at sushi places in Soho.
Ladies and gentlemen... The aubergine.
An eternal wonder.
(Meanwhile, my duck soup is simmering on the hob. I'll let you know how it goes.)

No comments: