Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Hanging Out At MI6

This morning I filmed a mini-interview for the HarperCollins sales conference. I think I managed to remember all the details - my name, age and background. Not sure, though. I'll have to wait until I see it. It's amazing how easy it is for the mouth to become divorced from the brain.
The most remarkable, and laudable, aspect of the morning's events was the following: we were filming just across the Thames from the MI6 building (to add atmosphere, and for resonance with my book). Within thirty seconds of my arrival, two armed policemen arrived. They were followed by an armoured van full of more police.
They were very interested in the cameraman's bags, and our reasons for loitering opposite MI6. They were also most corteous, yet still intimidating. They seemed to personify the instruction: "Speak softly, but carry a big gun."

No comments: