Friday, December 17, 2004

Bottle Dinner

At last, the day has arrived. Tonight is the night of the grand Bottle Dinner.
Throughout the year, every five pence piece accumulated by any member of my family goes into a bottle. When that bottle is full, do we give the money to charity? No - we all go out and spend the money on a slap up meal - usually Chinese, this year Thai.
I can't wait. I've even been saving my five pence pieces in a sub-bottle (otherwise known as a money box) so that I can add a last minute push to the total. We might even have enough for starters this year.
I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK- Now we know you live with girlfriend. Is it only you two put in a bottle or is this the mom/dad/sister family we are speaking of?
Who chose Thai?
Did you get to decide what to do with your money bos money?
How long does it take to get the bottle full?

Joe said...

So many questions.
It's going to be me, my girlfriend, my parents and one of my sisters.
We've all been collecting our five pence pieces, and we have no choice about what to spend the money on - we are bound by tradition.
Thai was a mutual decision following weeks of consultation.
It takes about 6 months to get the bottle full, then another 6 months to decide on a restaurant and find a date that we can all do.