Saturday, November 06, 2004

Broken Promise

I did promise that I would keep quiet about word count from now on.
When I posted here that I'd passed 3O,OOO words of book two, draft one, it caused a bit of worry, expressed in Marianne Levy's weblog. But now I've passed 4O,OOO.
In fact, I reached the new milestone at the end of October, but I felt so cut up about telling people that I've kept quiet. Until now.
The thing is, once I passed 4O,OOO, I seemed to stop. I took a couple of days off, went to a couple of movies, and now I'm back at my desk it's a little depressing that I'm no further forward than I was at the beginning of the week.
I've exhausted my snack possibilities and put some new music on, but it's now half three in the afternoon and my daily total is still zero. What have I been doing? Reading, napping and snacking. Notice I haven't been watching TV - our aerial doesn't work. (Though we still have to pay the licence fee - but that's another story...)
OK, now I've whinged, I'll work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're being too hard on yourself.
I have been trying to finish some writing for a long time. Start, stop, start, stop.
I am in a stop phase right now.
I think going to the movies, etc just help you get back into the right frame of mind.
PS If you want to talk word count talk word count
talk about anything9 and you do pretty much of the time)
That's what we like about you Joe

marianne said...

Indeed, word count away. Just make sure you balance it with lots of posts where you feel guilty for not working. Yes.