Saturday, October 16, 2004

Olympic Parade

The British Olympic team is going to be parading through the streets of London at some point in the next few days.
I'm not sure how I feel about that. My first thought was that it's a little embarrassing. We're meant to be celebrating their success, but they actually did worse than in Sydney (depending on how you measure it - all medals, or just gold medals), and they still underperform to a huge degree for such a wealthy  country.
Actually that wasn't my first thought. My first thought was that it would block up all the roads and clog the underground with... well, with who exactly?
Who is going to turn out in the freezing cold, several weeks after we've all forgotten about the Olympics, to wave at some anonymous pole vaulter who broke British records by coming 75th in her event?
I don't want to be grumpy about it, because I love the Olympics, and I have huge respect for the athletes - most of them. OK, some of them. I just don't think the British team deserves a parade - this is one case where taking part was not an achievement in itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But Joe, eveybody loves a parade.
You didnt want to go into London that day anyway, did you?