Friday, October 22, 2004

Cheerful Films

The London Film Festival has begun, and for the first time I actually feel like I'm making something of it for myself. I have tickets to see a few films now, and yesterday I saw my first one: 'Vera Drake', the new film by Mike Leigh.
The man's made an amazing film, but it's a good job I knew going into the cinema that his films aren't the jolliest of affairs. Knowing what I was in for meant that I could 'enjoy' it despite it being, basically, a downer.
That's not to say there aren't funny bits, but against the backdrop of blitz-hit ration-ridden 5O's London, the life of a back street abortionist is never going to be a laugh riot, is it?
But what amazing acting.
I'm no expert, but even I can tell when performances blow every other film off the screen. How about Imelda Staunton for an Oscar this time round?

No comments: