Saturday, November 24, 2007

Progress progresses progressively

And, as if by magic, Jimmy Coates: Survival makes it to the publisher on time. Not really by magic at all, though. Just by me writing it. Still, I'm pretty chuffed that I got there.

It will change a lot before it's published (April 7th 2008) but as it stands at the moment, it's the longest of the Jimmy Coates books so far, and it was the hardest to write. But I also wrote it more quickly than any of the others. More about all of that further down the line, once the editing finished.

Meanwhile...

Three momentous birthdays this week that I can't let pass without comment:

Yesterday, Hoagy Carmichael. One of the great songwriters. Much under-rated in my opinion. You probably know Georgia, but you might not know one of my favourites (and the song Hoagy won an Oscar for), In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening. Check it out. Crazy.

Today it was Harpo Marx's birthday. My favourite member of my favourite comedy act. I blogged about him last year, though, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

And finally, it's my mate Dave's birthday on Sunday and he's all the way over in Buenos Aires. Wotcha, Dave.

Dave's turning 86 this year, but he still goes scuba diving every Thursday, and as far as I know he still holds the record for the longest time spent with a peg on his nose. (He spent all of last year wearing a peg.) Dave is also the only man alive with more than 60 active teeth, and he's the inventor of sixteen types of glue, none of which is sticky.

Keep working on it, Dave. We'll be raising a glass to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a peg in his nose, as in, a peg in his nose?

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Sounds an amazing guy your mate Dave