Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Back Pain

My shoulder hurts. I am convinced that in many ways the human body is very poorly designed. There is no reason for me to be in this much pain. Last week I was fighting fit and full of beans. Then all of a sudden, without any change in my daily life that I can think of, my shoulder decides to pack it in. But it doesnt just retire to the Maldives like the rest of us would, it kicks up a fuss and starts hurting, as if trying to persuade the rest of my body to stop working too.
Well I'm not standing for it. But that means spending hundreds of pounds at the chiropractor just to get my body back to normal. At least when I paid money to fix my car I could identify with certainty why I was there - I hit a badger, it caused damage, I paid to have the damage fixed. But my shoulder hasn't done anything that a shoulder isn't meant to do. I'm not a gymnast, asking amazing feats of my every joint, and nothing has hit my shoulder. What is causing me to fork out on fixing a bit of my body that has no reason to go wrong? Where is my shoulder's badger?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you mention chiropractor it would seem you must be a visitor to one.
For one as young as you it is most likely you slept on it wrong. Take some ibuprofen, put some heat on it and stretch stretch stretch.

Joe said...

Thanks for the excellent advice. Quick update: I couldn't get hold of the chiropractor who treated me a couple of years ago, and while I've been trying, the pain seems to have eased considerably. I stretched, I took ibuprofen, and at the moment I'm feeling good! So now it's time for some toast.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of toast and naps. Naps can cure any ill
I find.
Nappers of the world unite- the world would be a much more peaceful place if everyone napped.