Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Unavoidable Nutshelling

Back in 2009 I announced a new name for the period between Christmas and New Year's Day. My original name for it has been tweaked a little since then because it sounded a little rude, so now it's called the Interscotia (or if you want to be formal about these things, the Interscotial Period).

This year my Interscotia was as fun and festive as ever. I have an Interscotial birthday, which helps. I also avoided the Interscotial sales while not being too inconvenienced by Interscotial travel disruption.

But inventing the Interscotia is old news. Here's something new for you. It will disgust you, horrify you, perhaps even confuse you. But I can see this one's probably going to catch on a little more quickly than 'the Interscotia'. I can already hear it being used across the land in advertising agency offices, publishing houses, TV pitch meetings and anywhere else where inanity trumps creativity.

It is: 'nutshell' as a verb.

I could take ages explaining the whole thinking behind this, but let me nutshell it for you: it works.

And however much you hate it, I don't think you'll be able to avoid using it.

No comments: